October 21, 2018, 03:34:26 AM

Author Topic: Count fx and play fx on world tag_flash  (Read 5979 times)

M.A.K.E C E N T S

• Infected
  • Take a deep breath. . . . . . . . Now get it done.
    • View Profile
    • M.A.K.E C E N T S GAMING
Count fx and play fx on world tag_flash
« on: March 31, 2015, 05:28:37 AM »
I've been told, by everyone, that every fx in your weapon files count towards your fx limit. Even if the fx was in more than one weapon, it counts each time towards limit. So I made a csc script that only loads the fx once and plays the fx on the viewarms tag_flash. Essentially enabling the reuse of fx without loading them again and not counting towards limit more than once...? I removed the fx from the weapon file of course.

Two part question:
  • Is this true, is this how fx are counted, and if so, will my method free up fx in the way I am understanding. Say i use the same fx on 10 guns, I should in theory recoup 9 fx?
  • What is the best way to play fx on the tag_flash of the world model. So far I have tried csc and gsc playfxontag, with little to no luck.

WinCat

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • My Site
Re: Count fx and play fx on world tag_flash
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »
The way i did it was.

remove all the fx info from raw/weapons/ then include the weapon in your .csv like so:

Code: [Select]
weapon,sp/colt
And since the fx info is not in the file it's not included in the ff.

They you manually include the fx file in the .csv like so:

fx,weapons/muzzel/blar/blar
Which will add the fx to you fastfile ONCE.

Now you edit the weapon files in root/mods/mod_name/weapons/

To have all the fx info.

This means the fx is only included once and multiple weapons can use the fx.  :-*

M.A.K.E C E N T S

• Infected
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 02:31:48 PM »
The way i did it was.

remove all the fx info from raw/weapons/ then include the weapon in your .csv like so:

weapon,sp/colt
And since the fx info is not in the file it's not included in the ff.

They you manually include the fx file in the .csv like so:

fx,weapons/muzzel/blar/blar
Which will add the fx to you fastfile ONCE.

Now you edit the weapon files in root/mods/mod_name/weapons/

To have all the fx info.

This means the fx is only included once and multiple weapons can use the fx.  :-*

I'll give it a go. I tried close to that once but did not include the fx in the csv, which would be a very important part for that to work, lol. Probably a lot easier than the script I made, :(. Thanks for the response!

WinCat

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 02:32:35 PM »
 :-* good luck

M.A.K.E C E N T S

• Infected
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 03:36:50 AM »
Seems to be working!  :o Will continue to test. Thanks so much!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:12:22 AM by M.A.K.E C E N T S »

DidUknowiPwn

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 05:20:17 AM »
Got it working myself and seems to work, going to see how many I can add.
Edit: Don't include FX's again in CSV.
Download Link to the weaponfiles: https://mega.co.nz/#!BhUHDJ7L!gCW_YFJuTGIRtfEGonsrVCPxJnZQ0Y_T-I0q03GaKk0 (includes both MP and SP).
Edit 2: http://puu.sh/gXjDn/3571e16d9e.png  :P
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:33:23 AM by DidUknowiPwn »

M.A.K.E C E N T S

• Infected
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 07:54:24 PM »
I've run into some questions and confusion while using this method. I was not getting the default fx to play even though I was including them. The only difference between the custom ones and the default ones, was that I was not including the images for the default fx, and didn't think I had too, but I wasn't quite sure why they were not showing up.

I am trying a slightly alternative way now that seems to work with little confusion, and I think still fixes the issue. I am taking all the weapons I am using in the map, in raw/weapons/sp, and removing all but one occurrence of each fx, from all files, from muzzle flash and shell eject. Which I believe is the same theory... It seems to be easier to manage and keep my head wrapped around it,  ???, plus I can make an app to do that quick and easy, repeatedly. This of course limits me when working on multiple maps slightly, but this is easier for me to work around consistently. I basically end up with a raw/weapons/sp for each map, that I copy over to raw/weapons/sp when I compile each specific map, or I may put all good weapon files in a different folder, wipe the raw/weapons/sp folder clean, and then copy over the weapons I am using and remove all but one occurrence of each fx, before each compile. This I can do easier I think.  :-\
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:56:16 PM by M.A.K.E C E N T S »

WinCat

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 08:18:19 PM »
Strange including the fx should also cause any dependencies it has to be included also, materials etc...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:22:30 PM by WinCat »

M.A.K.E C E N T S

• Infected
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 08:26:09 PM »
Strange include-ding the fx should also cause any dependencies it has to be included also, materials etc...

Well there is always the chance of me doing too many things at once or not in the right order, or something else. I only mentioned this way cause it seems to be working regardless of my mistakes, lol. I thought I had it working the way you stated until I took all fx out of all weapon files included in raw/weapons/sp, and only included them in a csv. Which is what lead me to try this way. I might try that way one more time before I give up, cause that way is prob the easiest/best in the long run.

M.A.K.E C E N T S

• Infected
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 09:10:18 PM »
No dice, I could not get the fx to work unless they were included in the weapons files at least once. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or what. Either way...

I made a drag and drop app and I will be testing it tonight that will allow me to take the weapon files in my mod, take all the fx but one occurrence out, writes a detailed log, and then I'll put the files it creates in raw. Then compile and see if that works like that. If it does, this will be epic as far as the fx limit is concerned, virtually making it a problem of the past, and someone really should do a tut on it. I can't thank you enough for the info Tom! I'll post my tool here after I get the beta working good enough if anyone wants it that has been following this.

Edit:
Tested and the tool works! If this is correct, I saved 121 fx.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gmdxacex09c6kz6/Weapon_Fx_Cleaner.rar
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:37:29 AM by M.A.K.E C E N T S »